Sunday, February 7, 2016

Women In Horror Month: Spooky Stephie's Choice #1 of 4

                                      Danielle Harris as "Jamie Lloyd"
                                                              in
    Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers and Halloween 5: The Revenge of                                                     Michael Myers




February is Women in Horror Month and some of my fellow horror fans and I are celebrating by choosing 4 of our favorite women in horror and sharing our love through our twitter and instagram pages. I'd like to thank Bonnie Smith for bringing us all together for this and letting me join! This will be fun and I look forward to joining in more of these in the future!!

We have each chosen a decade and all of our choices come from that decade. I've chosen the 80's for my decade mostly because it was the decade for slashers. I'm a huge fan of the slasher sub-genre and (almost) all of my picks are from slasher films.

My first choice is Danielle Harris who played Jamie Lloyd in Halloween 4 and Halloween 5. I'm a big fan of Danielle's and she was so impressive as a child in these movies. She conveyed all of the appropriate emotions that you would see in a child like Jamie. She had to be able to convincingly portray a grief stricken, terrified, and (in Halloween 5) mute (due to psychological trauma) young girl, and she did it amazingly well. The perfect casting choice was made and it pushed Danielle to pursue a career in horror film. These were the first movies I ever saw her in and they made me a huge fan.

Jamie Lloyd is Laurie Strode's (Jamie Lee Curtis) daughter. Laurie Strode was one of the two main protagonists in the first two Halloween films. Jamie was said to have lost both of her parents and is now living with a foster family in Haddonfield. Since Laurie was Michael's sister, Jamie is his niece. She is aware of who Michael is and so are her classmates, which doesn't make things any easier for her. When she is taken by her foster sister to buy a Halloween costume, she chooses the exact costume that Michael wore when he killed his sister, as we saw back in the first film. She also has nightmares about Michael and even sees him in the store where she buys her costume, not realizing that's who he is. In the end, after a night of being terrorized by Michael, she is returned safely home where she suffers what seems to be a psychotic break leading into the next film.... Halloween 5 sees Jamie in a children's hospital, rendered mute due to psychological trauma after the events in Halloween 4. She now also seems to share a telepathic connection with her uncle. She eventually breaks free of her mute state with the help of Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasence) and the two set up a trap for Michael in his childhood home. He is taken in by the police but, in the end, when it seems Jamie is safe, Michael breaks free again, leaving Jamie crying in horror.


Everything about Danielle's performance is spot on to me. She went on to play Annie Brackett (who was originally played by Nancy Loomis) in Rob Zombie's 2007 re-make of the original Halloween. She is one of the greatest Scream Queens and horror legends ever in my opinion and Jamie Lloyd is still my favorite character and performance of hers. This is why she is my #1 choice for this year's Women in Horror month.


I'd like to thank anyone who took the time to read this and please check out everyone else's choices through our twitter pages or instagram!! Meet me back here in one week to see my next choice!! As always, thank you for checking out my blog!! xoxo, Spooky Stephie



No comments:

Post a Comment