Sunday, February 21, 2016

Women in Horror Month: Spooky Stephie's Choice #3 of 4

                                       Spooky Stephie's Choice #3 of 4
                                                  Catherine Hicks
                                                            as
                                        Karen Barclay in Child's Play

We're now into week 3 of Women in Horror Month. I've chosen the 80's as my decade and so far all of my choices have come from the slasher genre. The last two weeks I featured two Scream Queens: Danielle Harris as Jamie Lloyd in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers and Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers; and Jill Schoelen as Stephanie Maine in The Stepfather. This week I've chosen someone not known for working in the horror genre but has a special place in the genre none the less, Catherine Hicks. As Karen Barclay in the original Child's Play, Hicks has earned herself a spot in horror history.

I love people who believe in the unbelievable. I also love characters who, despite the odds or how crazy they come across, not only believe in the unbelievable but fight to prove that the "unbelievable" is not only possible, but totally real. Karen Barclay is one of those characters. 
I still think the original Child's Play is the best of the series. It's definitely the darkest and most dreary. It's also the one in which Chucky was truly 100% scary. Before the wise-cracks and the wife and the son (Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky were pretty much horror comedies) Chucky was a harmless looking doll that was 100% evil. It's no wonder Tom Holland jumped ship when the powers that be decided to bring Chucky back from the dead for sequels, which vary in quality, and weren't totally necessary. But they've made Chucky the Doll a horror icon none the less. Child's Play is still my favorite by far and actually one of the first horror films I was ever allowed to watch. I first saw it on television and it terrified me and it has retained it's impact, I still find it to be quite creepy and essential viewing for horror fans and one of the greatest starting points for someone just getting into the genre.

Catherine Hicks as an actress is most well-known as the mother in the long-running television series 7th Heaven these days. So much so that when I watched Child's Play for the first time since seeing it as a kid, I was actually surprised to see her name on the cover. Hey! The mom from 7th Heaven is in this! She plays a completely different kind of mom here. One of my favorite qualities in any person and/or movie character is the want to defend the people you love. She does this, defending her son not only from Chucky but from the people accusing him of Chucky's wrongdoings. It's easy to see how they would, even Karen herself has doubts...like who is going to believe a doll killed the babysitter? But when you know someone you love couldn't possibly be capable of such a thing, you'll do anything to defend them and prove they're innocent, especially your young son who has already lost his father and you know he's just a lost, scared, confused little boy. 

After poor Andy is put in a mental hospital after being accused of yet another of Chucky's killings...Karen goes home and finds that Chucky has been talking and moving without batteries. The scene when he turns on her is one of my favorites. Now it's up to her to prove to cop on the case, Mike Norris, played by the always great horror staple Chris Sarandon. I wish Hicks would've taken on more roles in the horror genre, she really brings Karen to life. Whether it was a matter of choice or just the types of scripts being sent her way, I'm not sure, but she's terrific in this.

So after finally being able to bring the truth to light for cop Mike Norris, it's up to all three of them to get rid of Chucky once and for all. They manage to do so...but as we see in the follow-up, Child's Play 2, Andy ends up in foster care and Karen is in a mental hospital due to her support of Andy's story. Chucky is seemingly gone but there is no happy ending. Again, this is definitely a dark and dreary tale.
Karen Barclay is one of my favorite parents in a horror movie and Catherine Hicks deserves praise for bringing the character to life, giving a believable performance as Andy's supportive and surely scared and confused mom.

Thank you, as always, for your support of my blog. Again, I appreciate every view I get and always love feedback. Please come back next week for my final pick for this Women's Horror Month!! It's been so fun!! Thanks again!! xoxo, Spooky Stephie







I've just been notified that Catherine was in another horror film! "Death Valley". I've never seen it but I need to now!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment