Saturday, February 13, 2016

Women in Horror Month: Spooky Stephie's Choice #2 of 4

                                        Spooky Stephie's Choice #2 of 4:
                                                    Jill Schoelen
                                                              as
                                      Stephanie Maine in "The Stepfather"

                           
                     It's Women in Horror Month and last week I told you that I and a few twitter friends have gotten together to showcase some of our favorites. I kicked my list off with Jamie Lloyd as portrayed by Scream Queen Danielle Harris in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers and Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers. I'm continuing my list this week with another Scream Queen, Jill Schoelen, and her role as Stephanie Maine in the 1987 cult slasher film The Stepfather.




The Stepfather is a tough watch at times. Terry O'Quinn plays the title character, "Jerry", with such a chilling ferocity that even as a horror fan there are times his performance makes me cringe or look away. One scene in particular involving a poor unknowing Dr. (Stephanie's psychiatrist) and a piece of wood comes to mind. Another aspect of the film that is uncomfortable is his odd attachment to Stephanie. When it seems Stephanie is about to kiss a boy, he loses it. These scenes are unnerving in a different way.

Stephanie lost her father just a year before Jerry joins the family. He marries her mother and Stephanie is suspicious pretty much from the get go. Her suspicions lead her to eventually figure out who her stepfather really is and what he's done leading to a chilling final showdown.

At times it seems that Stephanie is the true object of Jerry's affection making the subject matter of the film even more unsettling. It is pretty much confirmed in the end when the final showdown leaves him laying on the floor with bullet and stab wounds, and all he does is stare at Stephanie and say "I love you".

As successful as O'Quinn is at selling the repulsiveness of his character, Schoelen is equally successful at selling the lonely, grieving, and confused Stephanie. When I first watched this film I was freshly grieving the death of my own father. When she talks about how bad she misses her dad, I feel that. She makes it believable that her character is really going through a deep loss. Particular scenes moved me to tears, she really brought the character to life. In the end when she had to fight for her and her mother's survival, she did what she needed to but in a believable way. This is a 16 year old girl thrown into a scary and just downright awful situation and prevailing. I love her portrayal of this character. The ability to bring a character to life, suck you in, and make you believe everything is really happening is something special and Jill Schoelen is a special actress. Severely underrated and deserving of far more praise.

She is deserving of the "Scream Queen" title because aside from The Stepfather she has also appeared in Cutting Class, Wes Craven's Chiller, When A Stranger Calls Back, Popcorn, and even starred opposite Robert Englund in The Phantom of the Opera. She has an impressive list of credits and this is my favorite role of hers.

Notable tidbit: Schoelen actually had nightmares for a week after filming the scene where O'Quinn chases her around the house. The nightmares were actually like a re-enactment of the scene!

So, everybody, there is my choice #2 of 4 for Women in Horror Month! Thank you again for reading and please check back in a week for my 3rd choice!! As always, I appreciate every view I get and any feedback!! Thanks again!! xoxo, Spooky Stephie


No comments:

Post a Comment