Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Hail To The King, Baby...

        Spotlight On: Groovy Bruce...aka...BRUCE CAMPBELL....aka...The                     King...aka...One-Armed Chainsaw-Wielding Bad-Ass...AKA THE CHIN

            This post is very special. I LOVE Bruce Campbell. LOVE. I'm a huge fan of his. So much so that I named my baby, my schnauzer boy, Bruce. I had that name picked out 3 months before I even got him. As soon as I saw him I knew he was a perfect Bruce. I even dressed him in an Army of Darkness t-shirt for his namesake's birthday this year. Bruce Campbell's birthday is an event at my house and I'm not the only one who feels that way. I have made Bruce Campbell fan friends on twitter, facebook, and pinterest. We all celebrate by posting pics like mine, writing messages, drawing or painting portraits of our king, and some even make amazing looking cakes in honor of Groovy Bruce.

A little background on Mr. Campbell before delving into my favorite roles and favorite things about Ash himself. Born Bruce Lorne Campbell in Royal Oak, Michigan on June 22, 1958, he is the younger of two brothers and also has an older half brother. He got into acting as a teenager and around that time started making Super 8 movies with friends including Sam Raimi. After high school he attended Western Michigan University where he continued to work on his acting career. He and Sam Raimi also continued working together, collaborating on a 30 minute Super 8 version of what would become the first Evil Dead film - Within the Woods. 

Bruce has had a long career since his beginnings making home movies with high school friends. The original Evil Dead premiered in 1981 to rave reviews including an endorsement by none other than the King of horror himself Stephen King. He has appeared in many horror and sci-fi b-movies including Crimewave, Moontrap, and Maniac Cop, more mainstream films like Congo, Escape from L.A., and Sam Raimi's Spiderman franchise, leading roles in tv series like Burn Notice, Brisco County Jr., and Jack of All Trades, and has also done voice acting. He wrote his autobiography which was published in 2002 - "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor" - which is terrific and so funny. He also wrote an original novel called Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way which was released in 2005. Currently, he's working on the Ash vs. Evil Dead tv series, hosting a horror themed game show, and has started hosting his own horror convention in Chicago.

I love Bruce for more than his roles in his films. He's a good man in real life. A devoted husband and father. He loves his family, loves his friends, and loves his fans. He has a terrific sense of humor and is so down-to-earth he could be your best friend next door. He works hard and he's my kind of bad-ass. Never caring what the mainstream thinks and totally embracing his b-movie icon status. I love that he's such a nice person. Gotta love his style too. Always stylin'. My favorite role is for sure Ash from the Evil Dead films. Cannot wait for Ash vs. Evil Dead. I really can never say enough great things about Bruce. I'm looking forward to everything he has in store for us. He's at the top of my list of people I'd love to meet. Him and Dave Grohl. If they were in the same room my head would explode!


So, any fellow Dead-ites reading, I'm sure you're already following Groovy Bruce on twitter. Anyone who isn't ... follow him here: https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce Always fun!! There's also a fun Ash4President campaign going on! Do your duty and vote you primitive screwheads! 

P.S. I have to leave this here - the promo for Bruce's appearance on The X-Files!!! One of my favorites!!! 


P.S.S. Foo Fighters video for "Everlong" inspired by Evil Dead!! WOOT.


And, as always, thanks for reading! xoxo, Spooky Steph
















         Always stylin'!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment