Saturday, September 12, 2015

I Love My Horror Family aka Horror Shout-Outs Part 1

            One of the things I love so much about horror is the camaraderie between the fans. Being a horror fan is like being a member of this odd and off-the-wall yet tight knit community. Since I've become active in horror forums, horror groups on facebook, and on twitter...let's just say, I've never dreamed of having so many friends. As someone who was outcast and bullied from an early age, I've always felt out of place pretty much everywhere. I've loved the scary stuff since I was young but not until I started meeting fellow fans on-line did I finally feel like I found "my people" so to speak, I finally felt accepted. Horror fans are some of the nicest, most down to earth, and friendliest people. We're all geeks. We all have a love of something that non fans shake their heads at. This is a dedicated group. The horror conventions can attest to this. You don't see conventions like this for any other genres with the sole exception of science fiction. I love to help my fellow fans promote their personal works. I also love promoting the work of the people I myself am a fan of. Sometimes these things overlap. I'd like to use this post to promote some of my favorite sites and blogs...

#1. a SLASH above

This site is dedicated to the slasher sub-genre. I've spoken before about my love for these movies and the comprehensiveness of this site is astounding. I've found so many movies through this site that I had never heard of before. This is a must for slasher fans.

aSLASHabove.com

These guys are on facebook and twitter also: https://twitter.com/aSLASHabove and https://www.facebook.com/A-Slash-above-264761460229896/timeline/


#2. Found Footage Critic

Okay, so, even as a horror fan the words "I love found footage" are hard to say to other fans. Found footage is a very polarizing sub-genre. I've been a big fan of these movies since seeing Paranormal Activity. I'm a big fan of that franchise. I've even got a shirt and a poster for the original. Found footage, just like the slasher genre, has it's big name movies and it's obscure titles. It's got the agreed upon must-sees like the controversial and graphic Cannibal Holocaust and the film the brought the genre into the big time, The Blair Witch Project. It's also got it's agreed upon duds like the aforementioned Paranormal Activity's various sequels (which I am again not afraid to admit again that I still love). This site is for found footage what a SLASH above is for slashers. Very comprehensive and run by people who really love the genre.  A must for found footage buffs.

http://foundfootagecritic.com/

They are also on twitter and facebook: https://twitter.com/FoundFootageFan and
https://www.facebook.com/FoundFootageCritic?fref=ts




#3 Fright-Rags

My love of horror can only be rivaled by my love of t-shirts. I love t-shirts so much that a goal of mine is to someday start my own web store and print my own. I know, though, that my future shirts will never be as amazing as those that are produced by fright rags. These shirts are amazing. I own several and will continue to be a customer. They have their own artists so all of their designs are 100% original. Their designs are expertly printed on super soft shirts in a few different styles. They post new designs all the time and they also have a graveyard section where you can vote to bring older designs back. Highly recommended!!

http://www.fright-rags.com/

They are also on twitter so give them a shout-out! https://twitter.com/frightrags




#4 Rabbit in Red

Another horror tee site and this one is based in the UK. I was directed to this site by a twitter friend after I asked if anyone knew where I could find a shirt for The House on Sorority Row. This site has an amazing selection of designs of available. A lot of the designs are poster prints and you have the option of how aged you want your shirt to look. The more aged you ask it to be the more destroyed and vintage the print looks. They do the aging by hand. Because they are in the UK if you order from the US it does take a while to get your shirt but it is so worth it. I got the light aging on my House on Sorority Row tee and I love it so much. Check this out:
That little circle on the sleeve is the rabbit in red logo. 100% authentic. 100% terrorific. Like fright rags, they are highly recommended!! 


#5 Adrian Roe's First Scream To The Last                                                                
Aside from movies I also love books. I also love books about movies. Adrian Roe has written a book I think every fan of 80's horror will love. First Scream To The Last: The Definitive Guide to 80's Horror is a thorough, fast paced, and entertaining read. It's packed with info and insight into the decade most often considered to be the genre's golden era. This book also includes fun and informative interviews with Tom Holland, Felissa Rose, Adrienne Barbeau, the late and forever great Wes Craven, and a really cool and unexpected talk with Eileen Davidson about the filming of House on Sorority Row. I recommend this book whenever I can to friends and in horror groups. You can get a copy on amazon and check in with the author, Adrian Roe, on twitter. Roe is currently working on the follow-up, The Definitive Guide to 90's Horror.




That concludes part 1 of my horror shout-outs. I really do love my horror family and always want to help promote the work of fellow fans and my favorite filmmakers. I'd like this to be a continuing series on my blog so check back for more shout-outs in the future. Thanks so much for reading and if you get the chance to check anyone out on this list I'd appreciate it and I know they would too!! xoxo, Spooky Steph


2 comments:

  1. The horror blogger community is definitely one of the best online communities. Thanks for the visit, spooky one. I believe the last book on horror movies I read was John Stanley's "Creature Features." Easy, breezy read while you're droppin a deuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! I added your blog to my list of favorites....and LOL, I will check out that book!! Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete